Sunday, July 31, 2016

Skaneateles Lake


Please donate to my fundraiser for Nurse-Family Partnership! Only three lakes left!

A sampling of reactions to the fact that my sister Laura was going to be riding around Skaneateles Lake this weekend:

My (our) mother: "If she can't make it, what are you going to do?"
My wife: "Should I come and wait in Skaneateles just in case?"
Her husband: "I don't know, maybe she's been training, but every day when I come home the bike is in the same place."

Family of haters! Forty-five miles and several hours later, I can report that Laura is not only still alive, but made it around the entire lake without being towed or driven. Good job, Laura!

It was all the more impressive because, for the first time this summer, I had some bad weather. It was bright enough when we started down East Lake Road, but after about an hour it started to drizzle, then rain lightly, then freaking rain a lot. Cold rain. It didn't help when A) the "town" of Scott at the south end of the lake turned out not to be a thing at all, so we couldn't take a break anywhere indoors; or B) when a friendly mailman sent us down the wrong road for two miles during peak rainfall.

We were rewarded once we rounded the lake, though, with a stretch of beautiful vacation houses on Glen Haven Road on the southwest shore. They were tucked into the heavily wooded hillside in an amazing variety of construction. I'd never been down there before, even when I worked in Skaneateles, but it's definitely on my list for a return visit.

The rain let up after about two hours and we had a nice ride back into town. Now that Skaneateles is finished, I've got just three lakes left: Canandaigua next weekend, Keuka the following and Cayuga the one after that.

Thanks for reading and please donate!

No comments:

Post a Comment