Sunday, July 24, 2016

Conesus Lake and some important Murphy family news

Please visit my GoFundMe page, where I'm $49 short of $1,500!

It was a productive weekend for Finger Lakes bike riding, as I knocked off two lakes in two days. Saturday I rode around Otisco with my good friend Scott MacPherson. I'll wait to write about that one until later this week, though, because my ride Sunday was special for a few reasons.

Conesus Lake is probably the Finger Lake where I've spent the most time; it's closest to Rochester and my aunts Kathy and Patty live there year-round. I started and finished there Sunday, and got to visit with them, my cousin Charlsey and her husband J.T. afterward, which was great.

The main reason I was excited for this ride, though, was because my wife Kat was doing it with me. She's quite an athlete - she used to play competitive ice hockey - but I saved one of the shortest lakes for our ride together.

Not because she couldn't handle something longer. It's just that she's 13 weeks pregnant.



Kat is going to be an amazing mom. She's a planner - maybe even an over-planner - and it didn't take long for her to research the best prenatal vitamins, what not to eat and where to give birth. We've been religious about meeting with our midwife from URMC and reading our baby books. If you have a few hours to kill, ask us what names we're considering.

In brief, Little Murphy is going to have every advantage we can give him or her, and that's how it ought to be. We're nervous as any first-time parents are, but we know we have the support, knowledge and resources to raise our child right-ish.

That may sound familiar from your own experience raising (or being) children. And while much of that maternal instinct is innate, not all of it is. A lot of our parenting will be learned behavior from our own parents, who did a great job. But what if we hadn't had their example?

You see where I'm going with this. I've been writing for months that helping at-risk first-time mothers-to-be is an important thing to do. Now that my own wife is a first-time mother-to-be, it really hits home.

We know how much there is to worry about and to learn. Kat and I are picking it up as fast as we can before our delivery arrives in late January. We both believe strongly that every other young woman in the same position deserves the same support and knowledge we're getting.

Please donate to the dang charity. I'll post more updates soon, about the biking and the baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment