Monday, August 8, 2016

Canandaigua Lake

Thanks for reading, and please donate to Nurse-Family Partnership!

Smart cyclist that I am, I backloaded my summer of biking with a few of the more difficult lakes; Canandaigua is one of them. If you've ever been to Bristol Harbour - or Bristol Mountain, for that matter - you know the west side of Canandaigua Lake has some hills.

I went out there this Saturday with my cousin, Matt Gracie, who left his house in Buffalo well before the sun came up to meet me in the Wegmans parking lot at 7:30 a.m. Matt is not only the tallest rider of the summer - he's got me by two inches - but one of the most experienced cyclists. He does plenty of road and mountain bike riding and has commuted across the Canadian border on two wheels. I didn't even know that was a thing.


As with nearly every ride, we had impeccable weather. It was pleasantly cool to start the morning with no clouds at all. We went counter-clockwise, starting with the worst climbing of the day on Seneca Point Road. That got a little sweaty, but for the next few hours it was smooth riding. We also got a nice surprise at the end of our 42 miles, as my (our) Aunt Michelle and my mom treated us to a lunch of very good Mexican food at Rio Tomatlan in downtown Canandaigua.

I'd also like to thank Matt for his generous donation to my GoFundMe. I set my goal at $3,000 somewhat arbitrarily when I began, but now we're just a few hundred dollars away from meeting it. If you haven't donated yet and you've got a few dollars to spare, it would go to a great cause.

This Saturday I go to Keuka Lake with my good friend John Forbush. This is the lake that got derailed earlier this summer, you may remember, when my father had emergency heart surgery. He's doing great, so there won't be any excuses this time.




No comments:

Post a Comment