Sunday, June 19, 2016

Owasco Lake



Please visit my GoFundMe page to donate to Nurse-Family Partnership in Rochester!

After an unforeseen one-week break, I restarted my ride Saturday at Owasco Lake with my good friend, former colleague and Twitter personality Robert Harding. It was a hot, sunny day for a 30-mile ride.


(OK, I recognize the videography has a ways to go, but at least I figured out the GoPro this time.)

Owasco Lake is in Cayuga County, with Auburn at the north end and Moravia at the south. I guess it's one of the least-known or visited lakes, but I got to know it well while working for two years at the Citizen newspaper in Auburn, where I met Bob. I made water quality part of my news beat there and learned a lot about invasive species, agricultural pesticide overflow and that sort of thing.

Compared with Canadice and Hemlock, Owasco was a pretty flat ride but we took it slow and finished by the early afternoon. Bob's wife Sarah was awesome as road crew, bringing water at the halfway point and taking our sweaty photo when we got back to Emerson Park at the end.

That now makes three of 11 Finger Lakes completed. Next Saturday, I'll be doing Honeoye Lake with David Riley and perhaps some other Democrat and Chronicle colleagues. In the meantime, please visit my GoFundMe page to support the riding and my charity of choice, Nurse-Family Partnership.

No comments:

Post a Comment